FUTURE LEADERS’ DECLARATION ON ASEAN-JAPAN COOPERATION FOR INTERNATIONAL MARINE PLASTIC WASTE
CALL FOR APPLICATIONS
(Updated: September 7, 2020)
Marine plastic waste is a global environmental issue that threatens the future of our oceans and of humanity. Together, ASEAN Member States and Japan have cooperated in combating the issue, and the next steps rely on the next generation to come up with new and innovative solutions to preserve our oceans. In this regard, ASEAN-Japan Centre invites leading students to participate in the making of a declaration on the ASEAN-Japan cooperation for international marine plastic waste.
1. To enhance regional cooperation and knowledge sharing between ASEAN and Japan on the current issue of international marine plastic waste by ASEAN and Japanese students.
2. To develop a declaration based on new ideas to encourage current ASEAN and Japanese leaders to take more actions to combat the waste.
1. Open to university students of ASEAN member countries and Japan (both must be residing in Japan);
2. Bachelor’s (3rd year or above), Master’s or Ph.D. students enrolled in Environmental Studies or any course related to environment from any discipline;
3. Participate in the online or face-to-face interaction with Nobel Laureate in Physics Professor Takaaki Kajita, who will endorse the Declaration, on Sat, Nov. 14, 2020 (AM).
4. Participate in the discussions and drafting of the declaration in English, and complete the three online preparatory sessions in English with Professor Atsuhiko Isobe, a leading expert on marine microplastics research on the following dates:
-Preparatory session 1: Sat, Nov. 14, 2020
-Preparatory session 2: Sat, Nov. 28, 2020
-Preparatory session 3: Sat, Dec. 12, 2020
-Study tour session: (TBC)
5. Participate in the launch of the Future Leaders’ Declaration on ASEAN-Japan Cooperation for International Marine Plastic Waste on March 16, 2021, in Tokyo.
6. Capable of carrying out discussions and drafting in English.
Application requirements (in English):
- Latest CV (any format)
- Brief statement (500 words) on how ASEAN and Japan can work together to combat marine plastic waste. Please identify three possible actions between ASEAN and Japan.
Please send the documents by email to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 15, 2020 with the subject: “Application for Future Leaders_Declaration”.
Maximum number of participants:
Up to 15 ASEAN and Japanese students will be selected.
Submission of application:
September 15, 2020 September 30, 2020
Announcement of selection results by email:
September 30, 2020 October 15, 2020
Transportation between Tokyo and residing place (roundtrip for study tour, round trip for participation in the Declaration event) will be provided according to the rules and regulations of ASEAN-Japan Centre.
For inquiries, please email Katrina Navallo at
email@example.com or call (03) 5402 8343,
080-4947-4883 at ASEAN-Japan Centre.